Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

we heart tofu




I love Tofu.  I really only cook with chicken and ground turkey at home so tofu is just another protein in the rotation.  I'm actually quite surprised that I haven't given it to my boys until now- they are 13 months old already!

Tofu is high in iron, protein and calcium.  It's a very versatile food and basically takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with.  

August and Jude's first tofu meal was Tofu Teriyaki.  I gently fried up the tofu in some olive oil, drizzled on about a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce and steamed up some carrots.  These boys were in food heaven.  Tofu is a great finger food- it's so adorable to watch them pick up the little cubes and feed themselves.  

In reading up about tofu, I learned that there is some controversy surrounding soy.  I had no clue- I thought tofu was peaceful hippie food!  Honestly, these articles were a little too scientific for me but the take home message was to purchase organic, non- GMO (genetically modified) tofu.

Also on the stove top: tofu scramble with a variety of veggies and brown rice OR add a little tofu into an egg and cheese scramble for added protein.




No comments:

Post a Comment