Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Island chicken

Of all the things I mix with chicken, I wanted to focus on a dish I like to call Island Chicken.  It's chicken breast mixed with mango and papaya.  My Mom and my sister, Erica, threw me a magnificent bridal shower 6 years ago.  The food was delicious and one of the main dishes was Mango Chicken.  It stood out in my mind because of it's sweetness.  The boys don't have a problem eating chicken and veggies but I thought, what a treat for them- sweet, yummy chicken!

Papaya is sweet and high in vitamin C, A and E.  It is also very high in fiber.  This is a reason why papaya is not recommended as a 1st food.  Introduce papaya after your babe's tummy has digested the classic 1st foods well and proved strong.  Honestly- papaya smells awful.  This is why I spend the extra money and buy papaya already cut up.

Mango is high in vitamin A and fiber.  It also contains a higher level of carotenoids than any other fruit.  Carotenoids are a naturally occurring pigment that gives the fruit or vegetable the red, yellow or orange color.  Carotenoids aid in preventing vitamin A deficiency.  They are also a powerful antioxident and thought to give the immune system a major boost, even helping to ward off the common cold.  This is great news for those of us who have 3 year olds in school, bringing home icky germs!  I buy mango already cut up.  I once bought a whole mango, let it ripen and attempted to cut it up.  It took forever and was extremely tedious...and slippery.  I love to cook but my knife skills are not that of a chef!

August and Jude also enjoy the papaya/mango combo for breakfast or a "dessert" after lunch.  Papaya/pear was another winner as is each fruit on it's own.

August and Jude hold hands while they eat alot!

Other favorite chicken dishes:
Sweet potato/corn/chicken
Butternut squash/apple/chicken
Zucchini/carrot (or apple or pear)/chicken
peas/rice/chicken
eggplant/potato/chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment