Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Baby's Shepherd's Pie?

All 3 of the Sandler babes are getting BIG!

When the boys first started solids I was able to get away with cooking every other day or so.  Not anymore.  My once tiny newborns are now 9 months old and weighed in at 22lbs, 5ounces EACH at their 9 month check up.  They are each 29 1/2 inches tall.  In other words, we have some big boys!  And these boys need fuel to keep up with their serious growing.  They eat a ton.  I am seriously scared to see what my grocery bills will be like when they are teenagers!

Tonight I wanted to make something quick and easy for their dinner tomorrow.  I spotted a bag of frozen peas and a bag of frozen corn in my freezer, along with ground turkey that I had already cooked up.  Perfect!  There was something familiar in these ingredients....I love shepherd's pie prepared with turkey.  I ate this for lunch alot when I was pregnant with the boys.  It's such a good comfort food.  I could steam carrots with the peas and corn and put the puree on top of white mashed potato.

The boys love "baby mashies."  I steam diced potato and mash it with about 2 oz of their formula.  The formula makes the mashies creamy just like we add milk and/or butter to our own mashed potatoes.  You can add alot to baby mashies: corn, spinach or even a half sweet potato and half white potato.  Add a protein too and you will have one happy baby with a nice full tummy!

A note on corn: corn is great for a bit of protein and carbohydrates which makes it a good food for energy.  Other than that, corn has no other nutritional value and considered "empty calories."  Don't give your baby a meal of just corn.  I always use a small amount of corn.  It is sweet and it thickens up some of our thinner dishes.  Corn will also be a good finger food down the road.

In the interest of time, I whipped up peas/corn/ground turkey and added a bit of cooked white rice that I made for our chili dinner.  It's a hearty, thick meal my boys will really enjoy!  We'll do Baby Shepherd's pie when we have a little more time to prep and gourmet it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment