Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

yogurt

Jude's "yogurt beard!"

Last week we FINALLY got to try yogurt.  I wouldn't say August and Jude are getting tired of their purees but I'm sure they wouldn't mind a little variety in their lives.  Or maybe I'm tired of giving them puree after puree.  That's probably it.  Nevertheless, our pediatrician advises staying away from dairy until 9 months.  Some pediatricians will tell you to give yogurt as young as 6 months and that is totally fine.  I like to follow our doctor's advice or I will fall victim to the all mighty Google and spend hours researching things I shouldn't be reading.

I always wondered why a baby could have yogurt before he or she turned one but not milk.  Part of the reason is that doctors don't want us cutting out any formula (or breast milk) that has all the vital nutrition a baby needs until age 1.  Secondly, lactose is broken down with the culturing of yogurt (or cheese).  Milk proteins are removed or limited and, therefore, these foods are much easier to digest.

Yogurt was a big hit with my boys.  I bought plain, whole milk yogurt and mixed with with a pear puree.  They gobbled it up.  Whole milk yogurt is recommended for its nutritious fat babies need for proper development.  Yogurt is also an excellent source of protein.  

We then tried Greek yogurt.  Greek yogurt is strained, removing the liquid whey along with some salts and sugars.  The result is creamier, thicker and higher in protein.  Greek yogurt has double the protein and half the sugar of plain yogurt.  August and Jude tried Greek yogurt mixed with a blueberry/papaya puree and had a field day.  August was grunting for more while I was giving Jude his spoonfuls.

I plan on staying away from the flavored yogurts marketed to kids.  Yes they are easier but they are much more expensive and can have large amounts of added sugar.  I bought a big ole' tub of plain, Greek yogurt and will mix it with my purees.


We are 9 months old!!  Our Mama cannot believe it!




No comments:

Post a Comment