Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Broccoli



I waited a while before giving August and Jude broccoli.  Broccoli is a very gassy food.  I have 2 amazing sleepers and I cherish my own sleep.  I don't do anything that may risk a good nights sleep for anyone in my household!  When Juliet was a baby, we had an experience with a gassy food that traumatized me: when she was trying all her 1st foods, I gave her prunes.  She happily gobbled it all up.  She was up SCREAMING most of that night.  Like Jude and August, Juliet was, and still is, an awesome sleeper.  Poor baby girl had a gribbly tummy and was tooting away all night.  The next day I told my Mom about our dreadful night and she gently told me I should not have given the baby the ENTIRE jar of prunes.  Maybe just give her a tiny bit of prunes if she is constipated.  OOPS.  Lesson learned and we stay FAR away from gassy foods!  

For their 1st taste of broccoli, I steamed up one small white potato with a single stalk of broccoli.  That's right- 1 tiny tree!  Broccoli is high in soluble fiber and too much soluble fiber can cause diarrhea.  Gas and the runs?  No thanks.  We took it easy.  I sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on top and viola!  Baby broccoli and potatos au gratin!  The boys really enjoyed it.

Fresh broccoli will keep in the fridge up to 4 days.

Broccoli is also high in vitamin C, making it a great addition to your babe's diet.  Steam up some broccoli and carrots for a colorful finger food medley.  Or roast in the oven with some squash.  

Sexy and I know it...




No comments:

Post a Comment