Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

You can't beat beets!

Beets are often neglected in the preparation of babyfood.  Beets have a smooth texture, great color and taste sweet and delicious.  They are also packed full of important nutrients like calcium, potassium and Vitamin A.  Beets also have alot of fiber.  2 medium sized beets contain 2 grams of fiber.  And speaking of the effects of fiber, don't be alarmed if your baby's poop is pinkish or redish the next day.  Jude had a little red surprise for me the day after he had beets!

Select small or medium sized beets.  Larger beets can be tough and woody in the center.  Medium sized beets also taste better.  If you purchase beets with the leafy greens still attached, do not feed them to your baby.  They can be difficult for even adults to digest.

This is the beet I bought.  There was a bin full of loose beets at Whole Foods.  I know, it's weird looking!  To prepare this bad boy, I simply boiled it for an hour.  This is the best way to prepare beets.  Removing or puncturing the skin before the beet is cooked will result in loss of nutrients and flavor.  It is also the easiest way to cook them- the skin will literally slide right off after it is cooked.  After the skin is removed, dice up your beets and puree!  Our first beet puree was beets mixed with ground turkey.  August and Jude loved it!




2 satisfied customers!



As Hurricane Sandy approached New York City, my family and I were evacuated.  We live in lower Manhattan in North Battery Park City- the infamous Zone A.  We packed up our car and trekked to my parents on Long Island.  Not really a better option, but we had no choice.  I barely had any food prepared for the boys so I packed up my Beaba Baby Cook, amongst countless other things, and we hit the road.  We sat glued to the news as I cooked up a storm as this disaster of a storm slowly approached.  I finished up just as the power went out.  One of the dishes I prepared was "Purple Potatoes:" beets and white potato.  They loved it.  This time I actually found pre washed, cooked and packed beets at Whole Foods.  All I had to do was dice, steam and puree.  In the future I would also add an apple or a pear or carrots for added eye appeal.

Purple potatoes!
 When the boys are a bit older, roasted beets will make a colorful and healthy finger food for them.  

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment